Thursday, June 23, 2011

Amazing weather

Feet in the sand

Clouds


So today was a bunch of running around, getting to know the area. We took a trip over to Honolulu to pick up cousin Tara from the airport. We cruised through Ewa Beach - note the feet in the sand (that's pronounced Eva beach as we found out later from Susan!). We had to go register at the Marine base so Tara and I could get on as Nate's guest. It is such a beautiful base... Did I expect anything less in Hawaii? After a quick refresh back at the studio and a "hello" "goodbye" to my resident gecko's, we were off to grill out with Colonel Nastase. We make a quick stop at the Safeway and I run in to the liquor store to pick up some wine. Oh. You can also pick up some fresh seafood in the liquor store, did I mention that?

We drive on to base and as we pause to show our ID's, I notice 5 marines trying to open a truck when the keys are locked in. Seriously, they were all going at it, from different angles - passenger side with the rain guards, driver side, sun roof. And of course there was one guy supervising. Quite a funny sight. Mainly because I am pretty sure, they were having a good time! Except for the one guy who I pegged as the guy who locked his keys in the car. Sorry, no pic of this one.

So we get to Nate and Susan's house. What a view!!!! They look out over the NE of Oahu. Nothing but ocean. It is like they are looking toward California. I actually feel the pang of jealousy and I ask Grace and Alex if I could be their older sister! They say yes! SCORE! What a life they have! I truly am jealous of two 9 year olds. What a different life they will lead.

We make up a tray of meat, cheese, crackers, grapes and wine and head out to the backyard. We sit and chat while we watch the kids release several years of pent up energy. We quiz Nate at dinner on the marines - how many divisions, how many regiments? As of tomorrow, he will be Colonel Nathan Nastase, Commander of the 3rd Regiment. But tonight, he is dad who is preparing to iron clothes as we leave. A good night with several bottles of wine and lots of laughs. I know he is humble about what tomorrow means, but we are all excited! He explains that this "ceremony" is what communicates to the troops that there is a change in leadership. He is taking over leadership from a Lieutenant Colonel that has been interim, so there will be no band, no parade, but we will be there to support him and he will be there to command his troops. I don't know how he commands his troops, but I would bet - he leads by example.

I am writing this at 9:50 at night sitting on my lanai, and the weather is so mild that I don't even feel it. It is neither hot nor cold... Aaaaaahhhhh!

No comments:

Post a Comment