We departed Friday for "the beach". Susan and her friend Treet, had the day planned. They assured us we were going to a fun beach. Remember there are different beaches for different things. So we head out to cross the island. We are heading for Wainaie.
We drive, and we drive... Dad says, "boy, this is a long way. There are beaches everywhere, wonder why we have to go so far?". We are thinking the same thing! Finally, an hour later we make it to an army recreation area. We are excited and head out to stake our land on the beach. Treet is there and has the kayaks! We lotion up and head in the water. Is this water amazing or what? My new favorite color is blue... Hawaii blue. We float around in the water.
We find out that one of the kayaks is missing a paddle. We start to notice spinner dolphins performing for a tourist boat. They jump out of the water and spin. Amazing! I look at Treet's daughter and ask,"would you go out that far as a first time kayaker?" she says, "no, but you could get closer to them". So dad and I rent two kayaks... a single and a double. Tara swims out and dad takes the double. With realistic directions from Susan on how ungraceful this in/out of the kayak will be, I head out. This is pretty easy and fun! We go out as far as we are allowed to go with the rented kayaks... We bang the side of our kayaks as we have been told to do, to attract the spinner dolphins. After waiting a while, we head in to a cove where turtles are supposed to hang out. Kids are diving off the rocks... Not something I would let my kids do... But they seem to be keeping the turtles away.
We turn around thinking our sightseeing was a bust, and then we spot the turtle! Yeehaw! Dad, Treet, and I try to corral it with three kayaks. Treet assures Tara he wont bite and Tara jumps in the water with goggles. She starts to swim after the turtle. The turtle pops up a few times, and all of a sudden Tara pops her head up and says "it's chasing me!". It wasn't, but it turned and she saw it's face... Things are larger than they appear! We laugh! We followed him a little more until he took a dep dive and we lost him. Huge animal!
We head in to let Susan take the kids out and dad and I go snorkeling. We snorkel around some rocks and see some little fish, but nothing spectacular. We spent all afternoon there enjoying the view, the sounds of the waves, the kids playing, but tired, we head home.
Tara, Dad, Nedra and I head to Buzz's for dinner in Kailua. I order the mahi mahi habachi style. DELICIOUS!!! I crash in to bed at 9:30 after a nice cool shower. I am reading "the book of awesome" - not done yet, but I think one awesome thing is taking a cool shower after a day at the beach!
I have pictures of me in the kayak and snorkeling, but they are on my camera and will have to wait.
No comments:
Post a Comment