Friday, June 24, 2011

Tradition and Ceremony

photo.JPG


photo.JPG

I started my day with a walk at 6:45 am. I was out 2 minutes when a sheet of rain hit. My instinct was to run back home. But my brain kicked in and I remembered that the rain doesn't last long, so I looked around and found this tree to stand under. I didn't have to wait more than 1 minute and it passed! So I went on about my business proud that I had conquered the weather!

photo.JPG

photo.JPG

We all headed to Nate's change of command ceremony for 10 o'clock. The marines are on time! We each had a seat with our name on it. I sat next to a colonel. The troops were impressive standing at attention. Here are some of the highlights. The opening prayer was inspiring - wishing Nate the strength of David and the wisdom of Solomon. The national anthem always gets me. The change of command was simple yet powerful. The colors were presented to the interim commander,the interim passed them to Nate in a forceful way, Nate took them with a firm grip and forcefully passed them back to the color guard. A complete circle, never unbroken. The interim commander paid his thanks and Nate was passed the microphone to make his remarks. Nate talked about the strength of the 3rd marines, their families, and paid homage to the people that have supported him as he takes command. Two officers had flown in from Okinawa, Japan for the ceremony. As Nate is finishing up his speech, the rain moves in. Nate had prepared us before the ceremony, and told us if it rained, we were welcome to leave and go inside. They play the marine hymn as it rains and I close my eyes. Normally when it rains we seek shelter, but there was no moving. No one was going to make any move that would signify uncomfortableness. The troops had been standing long before we were given our seats. We could stick it out. It was a great feeling. Not cold, just a mild rain hitting your skin and I felt like it made all of my senses aware. I have forgotten what it felt like to stand in the rain. The ceremony is over in about 25-30 minutes and they shepherd us out back under the pavilion for malasadas (portuguese doughnuts) and coffee.

Later that day at the officers club and at the commissary, I realize that most of these men report up to Nate. Very proud to support Nate today. What an impressive position he has.

No comments:

Post a Comment